Perhaps another way to look at a truck purchase is to consider why you need the truck. What do you want to do with the truck? For instance, if you want to tow with it, is the truck's tow rating high enough to meet your needs? If you want to haul stuff, do you need a long bed or will a short bed be large enough? Will a step side work or do you need the extra width of a sweptline bed? Do you need a bed cover or a topper to keep cargo dry and secure? If you are a larger person or will have larger size passengers, can they fit comfortably in the cab? (Older trucks had smaller cabs.) Do you need a club cab or crew cab to have enough space for passengers and all of the "stuff" that will be hauled in the cab? Do you need 4 wheel drive? If you need a 4x4, can you and your passengers climb in and out of the cab safely. Is gas mileage important?

Sometimes these kinds of practical questions do not lead to the type of truck that is most desirable. For instance, I recently bought a 2 wheel drive long bed truck. One of my elderly family members would have trouble climbing into a 4x4 and I need the extra load carrying capacity of a long bed. I'm hoping that adding a sure grip axle will provide enough traction.

If you are considering a truck primarily as a "toy", then I would suggest a Ram 50 with a small block stroker in it with an overdrive transmission behind it. That should make a decent cruiser and be able to provide some smiles when applying downward pressure on the right pedal. Add some boost for a smile that can't be wiped off your face!

Last edited by QuickDodge; 01/29/18 01:30 AM.