Originally Posted By Lon207
Poorboy,

Have you attempted to put the 39 Dodge front fenders on your Dakota frame? I'm about to start my 2nd '47 Dodge project and I have a good '88 Dakota frame as a donor.

thanks, 207racing

No. The Dakota frame curves outward and upward ahead of the crossmember. The frame occupies the same area the radiator support and fender mount needs to be. I did cut the Dakota frame off ahead of the crossmember and have added a couple of 24" long 2" x 4" tube frame ends. They have the last 14" pie cut down to a 2" x 3" at the front end, and are welded at the crossmember at a downward and towards the center angle to end about the same location as an original 39-47 frame front bumper would mount. The offset of the Dakota frame is pretty apparent with the tubing pointing so the bumper brackets will be centered, but it will be mostly covered by sheet metal. (I'll post a picture or 2) I will also be adding a radiator support, currently the nose is just on stands and tacked into position. The rad itself will be forward a couple of inches (I need more rad clearance for the 5.9) but when I'm done, the radiator will fit inside and forward of the original rad location, and the radiator support will be located at the correct distance and location to mount the fenders to the radiator support and lower nose piece. The inner fenders (inside the fenders and under the hood sides) will have to be modified to clear the Dakota suspension, I will make new pieces, mine are junk anyway.

The front fenders I have are in really bad shape, it will take several hours of welding on each one to make them presentable. At this point, I think I'm going to try the fender less route. I've always wanted a fender less ride. I have added a filler piece to the front bottom of the cab so it looks better without the fenders. Gene

060.JPG104.JPG122.JPG
Last edited by poorboy; 01/17/18 02:50 AM.