Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Are you using one of the early 170 tooth hemi flywheels or one of the later 143 tooth flywheels? The 170 tooth has to use the direct drive starter only, no matter which bell housing or scatter shield brand shruggy
If your using a 143 tooth flywheel any of the gear drive Mopar specific starters will work on the 143 tooth ring gear thumbs
o
Ok, here's what I have. Hemi 11" wheel 8 bolt crank, starter ring is on the front, clutch side, 170 tooth, uses a direct drive starter. A 143 ring will fit in same place on that wheel. In fact it's on there now.
On a 383-440 flywheel the ring is on the back side so a reg starter will fit. My bell housing (for a 440) will only accept a regular starter. I looking for a standard bolt on starter that will reach the front ring whether 170 or 143 tooth count.
Now if I make an 1/8 spacer for the ring gear I can put it on the back of the flywheel ( Hayes, the maker, in their infinite wisdom cut the wheel smaller on the back).
Who would have ever thought someone would use a Hemi crank in a 440?! (Sarcasm)
One crank, one flywheel and one bell housing sure would have been nice, And people want to know why Mopars cost so much!

Last edited by cudaman1969; 01/06/18 01:23 AM.