Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
So by the time you buy the MW main caps and have them machined to fit, you could have bought a junkyard Dana 60 and had it narrowed to fit your car. The gear, spool, and axles cost the same for both rears.
I just don't see the point.

So you can buy a Dana and have it narrowed for $200-..... I doubt it. Nobody is arguing that a Dana isn't a good option, it is. but I think you're over simplifying the Dana swap by a pretty large margin. Especially if you already have the 8-3/4.

Perches, brakes, brake lines, gearset, spool or sure-grip diff., yoke / driveline work, narrowing..... these things all add up and aren't free when doing a swap. If you already have an 8-3/4 with the correct gearing that fits your car, you can have that unit prepped to survive at the drag strip for around $500. I'm guessing that's around the cost of the junkyard Dana you are starting with. Not to mention you can pick away at it and not have to come up with all of that $$$ at once.

Each option has its pros & cons. Having an 8-3/4 under you car isn't a kiss of death like many will make it out to be.

LemonWedge - Street heavy / Strip ready - 11.07 @ 120