Originally Posted By dogdays
Dodge and Chrysler built industrial stuff and heavy duty stuff to last. As a result, the HD and industrial engines had limited horsepower.

413 or 440, each has a 3.75 stroke and pistons that weigh about the same. So, each is capable of the same redline, assuming valvesprings and ignition keep up.

The carb wasn't very big, so it needed small jets. You can bet the engines were set up to run rich for self protection. So, increasing jet size is probably a step in the wrong direction.

I wouldn't be surprised if that carb would work just fine with a regular carb baseplate.

R.

-Weight has nothing to do with the redline of this engine. --This engine is not original nor is the camshaft.
-The smallest jet I have EVER seen in a factory holley 4-barrel is 64. Why you think 59 would be lean in a big block is unfounded.
-Rich tends to kill rings and foul oil. I'm going to make the engine run correctly by installing a 750 holley and MSD 6AL with a 4500ish chip.
-This carb will not work fine with a regular baseplate. The air bleeds are calibrated for having no idle circuit on the primaries, etc.

Unfortunately philosophy and tall talk are not going to remedy this situation.