Hey Guys,

I have an 05 Chrysler Town and country with 216K miles. I need some help diagnosing a drivability issue. Here is the background:

Van has intermittently thrown code P0305 for a misfire for the last few years.

Coil, plugs and wires changed 18 mos ago. Engine light would randomly come on and go off. Usually with a P0305 code.

Has been running fine for the last 6 mos. No light, no codes.

A couple of days ago my daughter drove it to work. On the way home, it shuddered and she said make a crunching sound. She said she also smelled something like rubber burning. She said it would not go over 2500 rpm and she limped it home at 30 mph. Engine light came on.

When I start it up now, it does run rough, but spins up to 4000 rpm. I drove it and it shudders at take off but smoothes out some. I was able to get it up to 55 mph. It does seem to struggle more to get there than it did previously. Transmission fluid isn't burnt and it shifts fine.

I ran the codes and it has another P0305 code. I was thinking based on her description of the crunching sound that maybe the catalytic converter had failed and the material inside was clogging the exhaust causing the rough idle and acceleration, but it isn't throwing any exhaust codes. I'm thinking the P0305 is probably a bad injector, but the crunching sound indicates something else is going on to me.

So, what do you guys think?

Thx!
Randy

Dixie Restoration Parts
Phone -(770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-5pm EST
email: mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price.