I had a question about pistons, hopefully you guys can answer. I am looking for new pistons for my 71 LA 318 small block. Since I need new pistons in my rebuild, I am looking at raising the compression. I am looking at these two pistons, first two Keith Blacks and third Speed Pro:

1. Silv-O-Lite Hypereutectic Pistons 3234HC-030
2. KB Performance Pistons KB167-030
3. Speed Pro Hypereutectic H814CP30

Here are the differences: #1 gives about .5 more compression, is about $160 cheaper over #2, has a coated skirt, flat top, listed for 85 and up engines, and uses metric rings. I talked to Summit, they said it doesn't matter the year of the block and can use them but are looking into which rings I would use (none are listed by their venders and SEMA is happening, everyone in Vegas).

I asked to make sure I wouldn't have an issue with the valves clearing since no valve reliefs and even mentioned that I want to use a roller cam with .515 lift (Lunati Voodoo #711, Hughes roller lifters with bar and lowered oiling hole). They told me shouldn't be an issue. My heads I plan on using are the Sidewinder/Promax alums.

Speed Pro pistons, #3 would allow me to use non metric rings but are also listed for the new vehicles.

Compression distances for each: #1. 1.741, #2. 1.810, #3. 1.755. I am not sure exactly what this number means.

Using the compression formula and a .042 head gasket, that puts me at 10-1 compression for #1. I am using 0 on the deck clearance as I do not know what that stock deck would be. This is will be street cruiser, no racing.

Do you guys see any problems using those pistons/ that compression ratio for what I want to do with the car? I realize I can go with a thicker gasket to take out a little compression, or a thinner one to add some.

Also, which type of rings should I get, moly or ???????

Thanks

Last edited by roadrunninMark; 11/02/17 06:22 PM.