Originally Posted By BradH
Hard to coordinate with the local tool rental places, so I'm considering purchasing one. There is a Harbor Freight nearby, but IIRC there have been a lot of complaints about their hoists leaking, possibly other issues, too.

Any feedback available here to help with my decision? Thanks - Brad

Back around 1985 I bought this one from the local tool rental without a hydraulic cylinder. I rented one just like it so many times one day asked how much to buy it and he sold me this hoist/crane without a lift cylinder for 200 bucks. That was a lot of money then and it took me months more to save up for a hydraulic cylinder.

Used it for larger V8 truck engines which are much heavier than a 440.

I have wore out 2 cylinders over the years using it. It is holding up the front of the car in this picture.

Then I bought this a few years ago from the local auto parts store, I think I gave around 190 bucks for it. I got it because it folds up and is easier to use at home and I keep my one above at work in my race shop. Used to take it home to use. I use the import one to do light duty work like lift the front of the lawn mover to clean the deck and change blades and small block engine swaps.

I feel this hoist was at it's limit in this case, would not feel comfortable doing this with a big block engine. My driveway was a little out of level which made the hoist very unstable. Nothing like my wide base breakdown model I showed above which is way better. FYI.

And when I got it in, the crane was touching the front bumper. It does not have the reach that my other crane has. A car with longer front end it would not work. I did the install by myself in a afternoon.