Originally Posted By Magnumguy
What order did you go in? Interior first? Guess i just need to know where to get started.

Ohhhh boy...it's been a while ya know??? whistling

I do remember the following:

1) we did a massive clean-up on the car first, as silly as it sounds, I just didn't want to have to fight dirt and grime as I stripped the darn thing...so the high-pressure sprayer came out and particular focus was paid to the under-chassis

2) I "parked" the car in a location that was going to just require me to push & pull to get it into the garage, point being: once I start stripping things down it is no longer under it's own power but needs to be easy to move

3) trim, lights, came off first, basically things that were easily accessible from outside

4) I then moved on to the engine bay, but I removed the hood first though to give me the room and LIGHT...

5) ...followed by the interior

6) body panels came next, so doors, nosepiece, fenders, and glass

7) under-chassis was left for last (where possible, b/c fender skirts needed to come out first on my coupe to get at all the mountings screws for some of the trim, nameplate badges, etc)

Regarding #7 above, this is where I made a mistake. Once I stripped everything down and I was basically left with a barely rolling chasis, I was ready to complete the cleaning process by stripping as much of the underbody paint as possible (I did not have the means to do something like soda blasting). I did that, re-finished with anti-rust and then black chassis paint and finally re-installed the suspension components, all new stuff, so NEW control arms, new bushings everywhere, etc etc. Eventually all this rolled into a body shop for some work, and this is my biggest mistake on the project. The body shop didn't care that I had pristine floor finish, beautiful suspension parts...they did their body work, oversprayed everything else, it was a freaking mess that had me swearing left & right!!! Lack of pro work by the body shop because I discussed the details of the project with the owner repeatedly, he understood what I was going to bring him and yet never mentioned that "...oh geez man, I am going to get very messy here, you sure you want to have all your pretty parts on there first?...", yeah, live and learn.

I am sure I'm missing some things above, but in general I studied the car in the FSM and the Parts Book first, then developed a plan on how to tackle this as I knew that I would not be able to re-assemble the ride quickly.

Oh, one other point: get yourself a pile of cardboard boxes. I literally have a full wall in my garage that's set aside for the plastic shelving, which in turn is packed full of boxes that have components in them. Most of it today is of course from various parts cars I stripped over time. But the point being, as things came off of the car I would group the functional things together, so let's say the DASH stuff would go into a couple of boxes, all labeled, and each box would get a print-out of the matching spreadsheet tab. That way, it was super easy to go back and forth - sometimes repeatedly - as I tried to scrounge around for the best looking part to put back on the car.