Originally Posted By 6bblgt
'71 "pilot" & "promo" cars on Moparts

what I think I know realcrazy

1971 model year HAMTRAMCK "CAR" fender tags are for PRE-PRODUCTION / "pilot" cars - built during spring/summer 1970 well before '71 production started around August 3, 1970 (they have 801-SPDs)

their VINs were assigned after the "promo" cars had their VINs assigned and appear to be quite "random" unlike prior years

1971 model year HAMTRAMCK "DEALER ANNOUNCEMENT MEETING" show / "promo" cars were built in multiples of nearly identical cars (some believe 21 units based on the number of dealer shows across the US with an additional 7-9 CANADA spec. units built for shows in Canada) most of these have 802-SPDs (again the UAW wasn't working Saturday/Sunday) but the cars were built during the month of August in preparation of shows scheduled for late-August/early-September before the cars went on official sale.

1971 NEW CARS DEBUT 10/6/70 (Dart & Valiant DEBUT 9/15/70)

Good info - thanks Dan.

FJ5_Fish in that older thread is me. I have been on here since Tom started the board...but I always forgot my user name and password...so I always had to come back with a new handle - Lol.

So - it is possible that there may have been up to 30 of these made including Canada?