Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Did you measure the deck clearances on the cam side or the motor mount side of the block with your depth mike?

Cab, I measured across pin axis as far towards center as I could on both forward and rear, took the average, then measured top of bore (valley side) and bottom of bore (mount side) and took average. The average numbers across the two axis' matched up pretty close, like within .0005. I did it twice to be sure. I'm thinking for the next build it will be quicker to use and indicator bridge and a good indicator with a sharp point right in the center of the piston, takes the rock out of the picture.

This build uses K-1 rods, so length is pretty close.

I hear you on the factory rods. The original 383 in the car now has lengths all over the map, +/- .004 even with measuring and selecting from 2 sets of rods, and having some strategic resizing done.

The rods that originally came in my Bee from the factory were a joke, one had an improperly machined rod bolt seat and was cracked, another was actually bowed towards the front of the block. It ran for 120K miles that way and never blew! eek I got this car when I was 16 so its not like I didn't try........

'68 Bee 383/TF/Factory Air...high school sweetheart
'67 GTX Clone project,500 six pack,Hemi4-speed,Dana
05 Dodge Viper, 505 V-10, 6-speed Tremec