The vehicle was pretty immaculate everywhere. I loved it. Almost bought it (it was great price. It had a little idle searching issue, it would kind of go from 700 to 800 to 700 to 1100 to 750 etc etc. pretty much between 700 and 1100, but not fast, wherever it would jump to it would stay for a few seconds, sometimes up to 20 seconds. Anyways, it didnt seem like a dealbreaker to me.

What happened though that swayed me not to buy it till I investigated, was the 4wd. I went to some gravel, put it in neutral, and moved the drive lever down to 4 high. A little 'part time' light came on on the dash. As soon as i let the lever go, it moved back forward on its own about 1/4" and the light turned off. So I moved into 4 low, same thing happened. while the lever was in 4 low, i put my foot on the brake and put the car in drive. I gave it a little gas and let go of the brake (trying to see if there'd be 4 marks in the gravel from 4 tires). as soon as I let off the brake the lever popped out of 4 low into nuetral and the engine reved. I put it into 4 high again, but this time I held the lever down so the light stayed on. I gased it a little and all 4 wheels spun.

I know just about nothing about transfer cases and their levers. Does that sound like a major problem, or an easy problem?