I'll start by apologizing for dragging a Chevrolet question into our forum, but I respect the opinion of many racers and fabricators here, so I'm soliciting good opinions:

I have a buddy that bought a really nice 66 Chevelle last year. It's a solid Street/strip ride with an iron-headed 468" big block / TH400 with a brake / 9". Car runs 10.70's. Rear suspension is stock geometry, but has been upgraded with amuminum trailing arms, aftermarket upper control arms and all Urethane bushings, along with a 9" running a moser spool and 30-spline axles, and 28x10.5 tires. It has a bar only, and is only legal to go down to 10.0.

He ran across a deal on a 565" big block that was dyno'd at 885 hp., and he couldn't help himself. He wants me to help him swap it in, which I'm happy to do.

Here's my question: what issues is he going to run into with that much power on tap? We know the obvious issue that the car is not legal for what this thing will likely be capable of, but I have concerns about the whole back half of the car, which is essentially "stock". Any car I've ever seen tapping this much HP is at least on ladder-bars, if not a full back-half with 4-link. His idea is to let go of the brake and send nearly 900 horses head on into a stock 9" case & housing on a stock suspension setup.

What do you guys think he'll run into?

LemonWedge - Street heavy / Strip ready - 11.07 @ 120