Quote:
the chrome bumper is the same shape/size but the hole location changed when the reinforcement bar was added

I bought new Keystone bumpers for my 73 and had my original bumper guards re-chromed. The contour of the Keystone bumpers was WAY off. The bumper guards weren't even close to fitting. I don't know if it was an issue with the new bumpers or if the contour changed over the years. I'd be interested in seeing a 73 bumper guard installed on a 70 bumper to compare. I ended up getting my original bumpers re-chromed.

Quote:
1970-'72 brackets are the same
1973-'74 brackets push the bumpers away from the car & used filler pieces to fill the gap

Correct, however 73 rear brackets are completely different from 74 rear brackets. 73 and 74 both use large/heavy reinforcement plates behind both front and rear bumpers. The rear reinforcement plates might also be different from 73 to 74 since the brackets are different. Not sure though.

You can re-drill the 73-74 FRONT brackets to move the bumpers in closer to the body. I'm not sure how easy it will be to remove the heavy reinforcement though. The bumper brackets mount directly to the reinforcement plate. Here is the only good picture I have that shows the bumper removed and what the large reinforcement plate looks like.