If you were getting younger, I would agree with your solution. Anything lightweight has numerous advantages you are well aware of. The issue most others have mentioned, really is not tough to resolve. Adding anything metal to reinforce a light lift off hood seems awfully counter productive. The first solution I would do would be figure out where added stiffness is needed, figure out how much depth you have under the hood for a foam (urethane) gusset, shape it to fit (depth is much more useful then width, within reason) resin/epoxy it in place, laminate at same time a layer or two of suitable fabric, FG/CF over the foam gusset, sand off loose/sharp edges when hard, and you still have a lightweight hood, that is now really stiff, and still has only 4 pins. Its a lot less then $100. A downside is whatever shape the hood is flexed to when adding the gusset(s), will be the shape when its sets. I prefer epoxy, it contracts/distorts much less when it cures, and is stronger, but more expensive. twocents

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.