Ok, I'll go through the story (quickly) about my current parts. But since this was 22 years ago, (I built it in early 1992 and she's been parked since 2002), there will be gaps in my exact recollection. The truck chassis was a 72 according to the VIN. It came with factory installed overload springs, making it a D150 I guess. Anyway, in about 1995, the brakes were getting bad so I tore it down to get the rotors turned and such. I decided to replace the bearings while I was there. I took the rotors down and they were barely legal, but the shop turned them enough to make them true again. The parts house gave me the bearings that the book called for. (Back then the store I dealt with verified everything the computer said by their books, since that was a rather new thing and was frequently wrong)

When I got the parts home, the new bearings were far larger than what came out of the hubs. So I cleaned up the old bearings and the seal and headed back to the parts house. We matched the bearings and seal by the number stamped in them. Out of curiosity we looked up the small bearings and there were lots of references for cars, but nothing for trucks or vans. We checked the 73-up bearings, and although they weren't the small ones, they were different than the 72 also. I called a source of mine at a wrecking yard and he confirmed that the Hollander manual (in 1995) showed an interchange between the Dodge B van and the pickup for 72 as a one year only for disc brakes. For 73 and beyond, a totally different part but still the same for truck and van. Nothing else was listed in the interchange manual.

So here's where I'm at now with this. I don"t know, much less care, what these spindles are from because they're far smaller than what should be on the truck. Once I get it tore apart, maybe I'll find a casting number on it and run it. If I can figure it out, I'll make it known. If nothing else as a bit of trivia information. What I am after is replacing it with known components that are beefy enough to handle the job. At this point they could be GM parts for all I care. And since I'm replacing these parts, I was curious to know if there were years to avoid or years to seek?

I was hoping that someone might reply like the following example; "Get the 90-93 truck parts because the rotors, pads and calipers were the same as early 90's GM trucks.", or something like that. Whatever is on there now is going away. I just don't want to buy donor parts from a truck that is already known to have parts availability problems. Like the 72 or the 86 for example.

Thanks everyone! apimp

25 Dodge Roadster
66 D100 440/727 (on 72 D100 chassis)
67 W200 360/727
72 IH TravelAll 1110 4x4 345/727/NP205
76 Scout 2 360/727/D20
'08 Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4wd 4.7L