Originally Posted By 72*Birdman
the gas gauge itself is grounded to the gauge frame when its installed right? Could that be the problem? I just can't see how it could not be. I have an other gas gauge but am trying my best to not have to pull everything apart again to install it. I tried tightening the cap nuts on the gauge and they weren't bad and the metal piece that goes over the studs was also still in place, so I guess I'll dig out the OHM meter and see what that tells me.
No. The gauge gets its ground from the fuel sender. There is a 5 volt regulator with the three wire spider that feeds voltage to the water temperature, oil pressure and gas gauges. That is working or the other gauges would be broken too. There is a green wire that goes from the gas gauge through the dash harness to a connector in the kick panel. That connector has the dome light, tail lights, backup lights, brake lights and the gas gauge sender wire.
Just short that green wire to ground and see if the gauge goes towards full. If it does, keep going back to the sender in the tank. Short it in the trunk and check again.
Craig

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado