Originally Posted By feets
I have no problems getting weights and measurements of the components. The tools necessary are on hand and I know how to use them.

The plan was to use my spare block. If it checks out okay I'll have it decked (minimum cut) and use it. It may need a sleeve or two because of a scorch on the deck but Phil (bore/hone guy) said he can get them for about $25 each.

Should the block not check out I can use the engine that is in the Imperial now. I really wanted to just swap them out since I don't have room for the car in the shop now.

In our area, low mileage motorhome engines are dirt cheap. $250-$350 gets you a good core. For what you are doing I would start with the best example I could find and do a ring, hone, bearing and gasket rebuild on the bottom end. A hot tank is cheap in my area but I've done bucks down car wash block cleanup too.

Sometimes starting with a better core saves big bucks at the machine shop!

I just had a '66 289 done at the machine shop for my Mercury Comet. I provided pistons but other than that it was $1480 for everything. I could have saved quite a bit, but went ahead and did new valves. .020 overbore, .010/.010 crank cut, cam bearings installed, freeze plugs, etc. Very good engine to start with! It was just dirty and tired.