You can change from the 6 bolt wheels to 5 bolt simply by changing the front brake rotors to a 1990 or older 5 lug. The Dakota 5 lug is 5 on 4 1/2" pattern. On the rear, you need to change the axle shafts (from the same size rear axle) and the rear brake drums to the 1990 parts, or change the entire axle assembly (Dakota 88-90 are all 5 lug).

How much do you need to shorten your frame? I took 7" out of mine between the rear cab mount and the fuel tank brackets. Or the factory had a joint behind the cab where the boxed front and the C channel rear are welded together. If you grind down the welds, you can slide the rear section into the boxed front section more, but you will probably have to shorten the rear frame section however much you need to shorten the wheel base.

The Dakota firewall has a vent box on top of the firewall where the fresh air vent draws fresh air, it also houses the windshield wiper arms, pivots, and motor. The likely hood is you will need to narrow the Dakota firewall. If you do, you will need to reconstruct the vent box (originally it attaches to the sides), and you may have to modify the right end of the heater box.

On my 48 Plymouth, I used the Dakota floor pan and the firewall up to the bottom of the vent box, and trimmed the sides until the 48 body dropped down on the floor. The I built new rockers for the floor pan and attached the 48 body to the new rockers. Then I built a new vent box above the firewall to pull the fresh air in, and house the wiper gear. I attached the 48 cowl to the new vent box. Where you attach the body (and the box sides)will determine how low the truck will appear. Its easier to lower the body over the frame then it is to mess with the suspension to lower the truck. Old trucks usually have a lot of room above your head. Really depends on how low you really want to go.

I was able to use the Dakota seat (in its original position), seat belts (moving only the outer most holes), the heater box (only modifying the rec air part of the heater box), the wipers (with modifications), the Dakota throttle & gas pedal, and all the Dakota wiring and computer. I even used the steel box (bed) floor and braces (after modifying the front and rear mounting locations). I do have some pictures of a lot of this stuff. Gene