I have had a few units like this in the past. I backed off the bolts that hold the posi case together.

Slip the axle in that is still aligned and make sure it stays fully engaged. I have a set of axles stubs that I keep for checking or rebuilding suregrip units.

You have to be able to rotate the unit in the case. Eventually you will need to loosen or remove one main cap. Mark the cap and the adjuster. It helps to have a spanner tool for the adjuster. After loosening the cap enough to turn the adjuster, count how many turns you back it out. Keep backing out the posi retaining bolts making sure you can still spin it in the case. Eventually you will be able to get the other axle to realign the splines. Then reverse the procedure. I used an impact to break the bolts quickly, then wrenched by hand. Torque to service manual specs.

It takes me about 15 minutes by myself when I'm in the right frame of mind. It is easier with axle stubs. It might take some friends to help with full length axles.

I've done this with both styles of sure grips with success.

Good luck!

Last edited by racealittle; 02/14/09 07:16 PM.

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!