Originally Posted By volaredon
I have a 96 Dakota 4X4 that I bought with the tranny sitting in the bed. 318, 46RE, NP231HD, 3.91 gears.
Just has the factory cooler within the radiator, I have an add on one here that is collecting dust (pretty big plate style one at that) hanging on a nail in the garage, it's time to put this dust collector to use, now that I have the freshened up trans bolted back into the truck.

I am not going to totally bypass the factory cooler, I have never had success with a tranny lasting if I didn't also plumb it in along with the factory one.

I THINK that I remember how to plumb these, I'm asking you guys to check my memory to see if I have this right.

From the tranny into the new aux cooler, out of the aux cooler, into the factory cooler at bottom of radiator, and back to tranny. Right or not?

Now for the real questions; mount this in front of the AC condenser or sandwiched between radiator and condenser?
and
would it matter if I put the fittings for the aux cooler both at the bottom, or would I be better to mount them horizontally? (with the inlet at the top of the new cooler)
or does that really mean much?

I'd recommend plumbing the add on cooler after the factory cooler.