So back to OP. The debate rages on. I think we are all in agreement that the finish would not have been as sharp as the body paint if it were black.

As discussed, the finish would have been effected by many factors even if it started as gloss black.

Dan, as expected you are thorough in your assessment and I should not doubt your choice of wheel for discussion.

Stewpar, below is a picture of the same wheels yesterday in my shop. The car was a one owner vehicle that is in unbelievable condition. Never driven in the winter and kept inside. I do not think I will be able to buff these up to the luster shown in previous pictures.

Mike, I agree, finish didn't effect cost. My cost reference was purely on the plant applying the least expensive wheel knowing they would be removed. Looking at many M5/9 wheels, quality of paint application was not a priority, hence the varying finishes we are discussing.

Where does this leave us? I think it will be up to the owner of car to discuss with his restorer. We apply a semi to low gloss black on our reproduction wheels. The finish even varies for us in a controlled environment.

D

IMG_6410 web.JPG

Seeking 1969 Lynch Road fender tags/Build Sheets/Window Stickers/VIN - Over 2300 so far thanks to you!!
2018 Demon Challenger PY4 A8 Black Hood
2017 Jeep Trail Hawk
2016 Hellcat Challenger PCP A8
1969.5 A12 Super Bee WM21 V1H F6 D21
1969 Coronet RT B5 D32 M46 N96