Originally Posted By Frankenduster
Hello again. My 70 Charger had a pitted windshield when I bought it in March of 2000. It sealed well and didn't leak a drop. A couple of years ago I had a new glass installed using a new gasket. The gasket was still technically new even though I bought it in 2003. It was in a sealed plastic bag. It fits the opening without any noticeable difference.
I didn't notice the leak right away. When I did I thought it may have leaked from the vent window. The car sits indoors and is not driven in the rain. The only time it sees water is when I wash it.
I took it back to the glass installer. He wiped a thin bead between the glass and gasket. It still leaks. Does anyone know the original procedure?
I had a serious leak in a 74 Duster after installing a windshield myself. I removed the glass and gasket and laid a bead of that gooey black urethane sealant all around the steel window channel then inside the channel where the glass fits in. The windshield never leaked after that. This was a messy process but is that what is necessary to ensure no leaks?
Thanks!

The proper procedure for the 68-70 B body windshield install is: Apply a full 1/4" thick bead of window sealant (NOT SILICONE!) along the entire lower channel where the gasket sits, then apply a 1/4" bead from the lower corner of the A pillar opening up along the A pillar channel about 12" high on both A pillar channels, immediately install the gasket, and windshield, do not allow the sealant anytime to set up, start the windshield install at the bottom, work both sides up simultaneously into the gasket, then work each upper corner towards the center simultaneously. do not put any sealant in the gasket lip where the glass fits into

Mike