By way of background, I purchased this car in 1971 while in service, stationed in the San Francisco Bay area. The car had been Isky car of the month in a 1969 issue of Popular Hot Rodding.

The initial conversion had been done by Al's Automotive in South San Francisco. The 61 Lancer had an Econoline front axle and 55 Imperial rear end installed, and originally a 383 with 4 speed. At the time I bought it, it had a hurt 426 wedge in it, still a 4 speed.

I knew hardly enough at the time to be dangerous (not sure I've improved on that front over time either) and was a bit discouraged by the project, but a girl friend had faith in me and actually helped me pull the engine and later reassemble the car. She made regular trips to the local store to purchase cream soda for us to drink while we worked on the car. Hence the same "Creme Soda" which my sister painted on the fenders after I was discharged and drove the car home to Minnesota.

Raced the car regularly at Champion in the Bay area, and made some passes at Fremont back then too.

When back home, going to college in Wisconsin, I spent more time working in the garage then studying. Lots of trips to Northstar and Amber Green from 73 to the late 70's.Got lots of help and advice from local racers back then and we all had a great time racing.

In the 80's, with career, kids and life in general going on, the car only saw limited use. In 1990 I switched it to an automatic and promptly had nothing but trouble. After fighting with it for a summer I parked the car in the shed and there is sat.

2 years ago I pulled it out to display at Mopars in the Park, when they had a special exhibit on old local drag strips. I was amazed at the response to the car. Some people actually remembered it running at Northstar in the 70's.

I'm retired now, so more excuses. This winter I am going to get the old girl spruced up and running again.

SANY0012.JPGSANY0011.JPG

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way