Originally Posted By moparx
just curious. how much [if any] did you have to remove from the center register hole on the ford rim to fit over the axle hub ? ...

I had to remove some material with a hand file for the rims to fit over the Mopar center register. IIRC the front rims fit easier with less material removed. On the rears I definitely removed more material for the center register to get them on.

I don't recall the year(s) my Ford rims came from.

the center bumps are also larger on the ford wheel if you want to use dog dish caps of the later [smaller, 68 on i think] diameter. i think the ford bumps are close, if not the same location as the 62-66 or so larger dog dish caps, but i have never checked to see if those caps fit the ford wheels.

I haven't tried them either. I'm not using dog dish. My goal with the Ford rims was to enable me using the full 14in "spinner" style hubcaps that were stock for '65 Satellites, with 7" wide tires. For dog dish I would have just bought new Chrysler OEM style 15x7's steelies from Summit.

as supercuda said, i have also just bent the retaining tangs outward to quiet the squeeky wheel cover or trim ring when needed.

Yes, this worked for me too, and the squeak went away.

late cop wheels are heavier than the standard steel wheels of that era, made from thicker material to take extra abuse from pot holes and curbs, and yes, they flex less than the standard wheel as well.
beer

So I think the answer to my question whether flex actually matters on a steel vs alloy rim is..

"Meh"...

laugh
- Art

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle