You do know if you ran a wire from the alt right to the battery the amp gauge will not read right any more. Which you can just add a voltmeter to a 12 volt key on wire like the J2 circuit to moniter running volts and know if it charges. On my 63 I have the battery in the trunk and on my output wire to my alt I use a 70 amp type of large fuse that is the kind with eyelet terminals on each side. I bolted one side to the battery cutout switch in the trunk end and the other side I bolted to the eyelet terminal on the 10 gauge wire that goes to my alt output. I would definetly put a type of fuse or fuseable link on the wire you ran to the alt output terminal. My alt is a 60 amp unit and thats why I used a 70 amp fuse so depending on the output of your alt will depend on the fuse you should use. You need to use the larger type fuses that will work ok with the amps that will flow and not burn out to fast from the normal heat buildup. Thats why they used fuseable links in the older days as they can get warm when the alt is putting alot of amps back into the battery if the battery gets low and the fuseable links could handle the normal heat and not burn out to soon from it. The large 70 amp fuse I use on mine with the eyelet terminals on both ends of it has worked good in my car as its been in it since 2006. Ron