Hey Guys,

I was not going to post this but seeing as being on Moparts, and living vicariously through many of you has kept me sane over the last few years my wife said I should share my recent success with you. Long story but I will try to keep it brief. The last time I really raced seriously was in 2006 - 07. Since then I have maybe attended the odd race here and there. Most of them were in my street car racing in footbrake for fun. The race car has sat in various states of disrepair since my last full season. Life as it can, seriously got in the way. Divorce, Wedding, baby, huge renovation, move, huge renovation. You guys get it!

I was able to put the car back together in 2013 and attended a couple of races at the end of the season. I was able to go a few rounds when I got back but the car would scatter ET's like your crazy aunt with confetti at a wedding!

This summer we decided we were going to go to a couple races. However, three days before we left the engine was out fixing a leaky rear main seal and I had done nothing to try and fix the consistency issues. Undaunted, I loaded up our state of the art 1980 Empress motor home with my wife, our daughter and the dog and off we went. 6 hours later we were at the first of the races. It was a big buck race. Fought with the car all day Saturday. ETs would change by over a tenth between runs. I eventually figured out a sticky shifter cable was the culprit. Sunday was a different story the car was running spot on!I lost a really good race to a buddy in his low 7 second dragster and my day was over. Put the car in trailer. Left everything there and headed home.

Returned the next weekend to race at the Northwest National Open. Got in real late Friday night and flopped into bed. Got up the next morning and went to unload the car and the passenger front tire look a little strange as we were rolling it out of the trailer. Turned out that the steering arm that was welded to the lower ball joint had broken off while the car was sitting in the trailer. Told my wife we were going home. She convinced me to stay and watch and leave the next morning. At that point I have to admit I was a little rattled. I designed and built the lower ball joints. I had them professionally welded but I felt I had really dodged a bullet. I was really bummed. I had been driving really well and my confidence was high but the car was broke and I had no way of fixing it and to be honest I was not sure I was going to fix it. Went and had a nap an woke up with a renewed plan.

So off I went in an attempt to find a welder. I asked everyone that I knew and no one had one. I was told to talk to one of the local Bike racers. He normally has a welder with him in his trailer. I went over and asked him and he said that he had just taken it out. I thanked him for his time and I was headed out when he asked what I needed welded. I told him and he said you get it off and we will go to my place and fix ya up. He said we are here to race and I will do what ever I can to get ya up and running!

An hour later we were back at the track and I was going for a test drive at midnight.

Sunday dawned and I entered both Super Street and Super Pro. Well low and behold if I didn't win both classes. Super pro was especially sweet because I ran my dial with a Zero in the final against a 185 MPH dragster.

The weekend started off with such promise, went quickly in the crapper and ended up with two additions to the Wally Family. We are calling them the twins!

I can't thank you guys enough for keeping the fire burning through some low points and my wonderful family for the support.

Sorry its so long but wanted to share!

Last edited by 451Guy; 08/17/16 08:14 PM.

Thanx 451 Guy

512 cu in 71 Demon Super Street Car - NO LONGER - Broke Crank
Best ET 9.57 @ 139.96

451 cu in Pump Gas - 71 Demon Super Street Car
Best ET 9.99 @ 136.80

512 cu in 69 Charger R/T
Best ET 11.39 @ 118.11