Where to start?

I plan on taking my '70 GTX to the track one last time as soon as the hot weather passes. The car's last outing was in 1996 where it ran a 12.0 at 114 with a 1.862 short time with a slipping clutch on the launch.

Setup at the time:

440 with McCandless ported heads, +1 intake/exhaust, 528 mec cam, 6-pack forged slugs, TM7 intake with 750 AFB, 2" Hooker headers, 4-speed, 28" x 10.5" M/T slicks, 4:10 gears 8.75 rear at 3800lbs with driver.

I converted the car over to an automatic shortly after to improve short time and reduce wear and tear on the body after 2 decades of street and track racing has taken its toll.

Problem being I never went to the track with it again! I started tinkering around with the FWD drive stuff and the car just got sidelined and then went into storage where it sat for over a 15 years waiting for me to get back around to it..

In 2010 the car was pulled out of storage and I started picking at it. Changed out an intake gasket, new (cheap) headers from Summit as the Hookers were shot, new 3" mandrel bent system, fixed the fiberglass front bumper, went over the brake system, replaced the front drums with discs finally and generally made the car driveable again.

A friend mention he like the car as it had "patina" and it had a new paint job 2 months later. I don't like patina.

So why are we here? Well I have started to pickup racing again with the Duster and decided to take the GTX to the track as well this fall for good measure to see what the old girl will do.

I indicate its the last time since I want to convert the car back to a 4-speed for the fun factor and reinstall the power steering I removed all the years ago. Since I have no desire to beat up the body further this will indeed be the last time once the manual goes back in.

Spent the last week going over everything with a fine tooth comb and here is the current setup.

440 with McCandless ported heads, +1 intake/exhaust, 528 mec cam, 6-pack forged slugs, tunnel ram with 500 AFB's, 1.75" headers, automatic, 28" x 10.5" M/T slicks, 4:10 gears 8.75 rear.

Curb weight up slightly from 3800 lbs I imagine since the fiberglass front bumper has been replaced with a steel unit though I'm sorely tempted to reinstall the 'glass one for a last go around! Also not going to run the WeldWheels as I don't have long studs on the car any longer and have no desire to install them.

The 727 is just a run of the mill unit with a 340 converter and a Turbo Action manual valve body. Its been flawless in the car since installed, recent service showed nothing amiss in the pan.

I built the motor in 1993 and its still holding together pretty good. Matter of fact I just got around to replacing the damn high pressure spring MP sold for oil pressure and put a stocker in so I don't have to worry about balloning the filter when cold! Car has a maximum of 60 psi now.

What say you? I think the car will ET better but might lose little mph. I say might due to the fact it has the tunnel ram installed now and it pulls like hell compared to the TM7. I'm better at tuning than I was 30 years ago too so there might be a few mph still hiding in the old girl.

DSCN0845aaa.jpgGTX_1994_2.jpgGTX_1994_03.jpggtx_3.jpg

"I think its got a hemi"