Guys, I have recently encountered what seems like a strange ignition issue.
I have a 6al and Msd ready to run distributor.
Car has seen about 600 street miles over the past month with zero issues.
After a short blast today, I was just pulling into my driveway and the car quit...stopped dead. It spins over, but no start.
So I left the car for a couple hours (had a a few things I needed to get done) , came back and tried starting it and boom, fired right up.
So I jumped out, looking around at engine I hear what sounds to me like header gasket leaking. So I go to grab a socket to tighten header, car quits again.
So I carry on and tighten header bolts..none are loose.
So I start looking for loose wires, grounds etc around ignition system, I notice the coil wire on the ditributor cap is not pushed down all the way.
So push it down, boom, car fires right up...no more header leak!!! So I'm thinking ok, maybe that was the whole issue.
Nope...as i'm siting in the car warming it up, it quits again. I fire it up and it runs but the tach starts jumping around sparadically, I have to rev it up to keep it running and every time the tach starts jumping , the engine pulls down and starts missing then clears up, then starts missing, then quits.
No start.
Leave it sit for 20 minutes, fires right up and runs good for 4-5 minutes, then repeats again.
Any body had this type thing happen?