I am going to painting my 71 Cuda grille textured argent in the near future. I have chosen to use the Roger Gibson kit which is supplied as 3 different products to be sprayed one on top of the other to get the effect.

I called Roger a couple weeks back because I had some questions on the directions supplied with the kit. I must say he was very helpful as I did learn very much from him including what he has found to be the difference between 70 and 71 texture.

As I said the kit is supplied as 3 different products, all lacquer. The #1 is a highly textured essentially silver/argent paint. The #2 is a clear with some metalflakes mixed in. The #3 is a straight clear which he likes to use to glue the texture down somewhat. What Roger told me for a 71 grille is to just use just #1 and #3. He said a lot of the 70 grilles he has seen have somewhat of a shimmer to them and this is why he includes #2 can.

I did take a little bit of the number #1 from the can and put it on a piece of plastic and compared it to some 71 grilles, headlight rings, and lower grilles I have, some NOS and I will say it matches them very close to almost identical in both color and texture.

Mike Afflerbach