Quote:

So I take it you think the Factory Service Manual is wrong?

Well I went back and read the cooling section throughly it made no mention of filling the radiator of a car with a coolent overflow system any differently. Then I did a little more reading and the first mention of a overflow coolent recovery system offered for B Body cars was in 1970 and I thought Stu's "vintage" RR was a 69? However I have been mistaken in the past.

I have no beef with you.

I believe that Stu's RR may not have had a recovery system on it originally, but seems to have one now.

I make no claims about the Factory Service Manual's accuracy. It is my opinion and pure speculation that the words you posted were written with a NON-coolant recovery system in mind, during a period of time when coolant recovery systems were not yet in wide use by Chrysler Corporation.

Knowing what we now know in 2009 about coolant recovery systems (by now, a mature system in wide use), there is no need to leave an air gap above the coolant in a radiator so equipped. If one leaves such an air gap, has coolant in the recovery bottle, and cycles the car through a few cold-hot-cold cycles, any such air gap will go away.