I actually have Larry's building a 440 stroker for me right now. I would agree they have a very nice facility and I believe they have a good reputation. I call Gary to get updates and he'll have you pay as you go. I know they're very busy, so I would talk to him and find out what the lead time would be. I do have a 383 block in my garage, and I would drop it off to them to check it out for you. It's a bare block that has some machine work, I think it's .030" over, not absolutely sure.
I agree it's a long way. I was going to use another engine shop in Michigan until I saw the pile-on here. There were some other things that steered me away from them. I like the fact that Larry's is a site sponsor and it's close enough that I can get in the car and go there. My build should be done by the end of June. It would have been sooner, but I'm swamped at work. They understood and were fine with my scheduling conflict.
They do other makes, I think the subarus are their bread and butter. I would check out their facebook page to see the shop and some of the work they do.