Originally Posted By dobie
Originally Posted By BlueRacer69
I suggest you try to find a NOS fuel tank sending unit. I'm talking one from the 60's or early 70's, not 2003, or Mexican junk. I had pretty much the same issues for years with my car. Then I decided to fix it right once & for all by finding a NOS sending unit. It took me several months but I did find one. They are still out there. As soon as I pop it in and hook everything back up I had a accurate working gas gauge. Best thing I ever done to my car. Nothing beats a good NOS part.

I agree, but I haven't been able to find a NOS 3/8" sender.

it's pretty easy to modify a good 5/16" sender to 3/8" or 1/2". i have done that many times. just remove sender from pickup tube carefully, unsolder 5/16" pickup from mounting plate. "swedge" original pickup holw with tapered punch to a snug fit for your 3/8" or 1/2" tube you have bent up to match your original 5/16" tube. resolder new tube to retainer plate. the "swedge" created by the tapered punch gives the new tube added support and additional room for more solder to be applied insuring a leak free seal. re-attach your sending unit to the new tube. you are done ! it sounds a lot harder to do than it really is. and is much cheaper than a re-pop unit that may, or may not work correctly. just my experiences that have been successful.
beer