Originally Posted By mccannix
Quote:
Why were there 2 different styles used, early and late or was the large nut set up not a good design ?. How did the nut get attached to the ring, was it crimped or fusion welded. And how would be the best way to reattach these. I am in need of 3.
Thanks
Dan.

I was told once by a close friend who worked at Fram, that an employee read the print wrong and welded them on the top.
His job that day was to do the nuts on the adapter which are 10-24.
The feet brackets which have the nut fused by same process were close by and use the larger diameter 1/4-20.
He likely grabbed the wrong nuts.
Today a plant would have YOUR nuts for doing that, but quality control in the 70's was not what it is today.
Apparently this went on all day until a supervisor caught it.
Because it was a peak period and demand was high to get these units completed and shipped to Hamtramck, they let 150 or so of these adapters escape.
I have seen a few of these adapters with the smaller 10-24 on top as well.
Thats his story and I'm sticking to it up

Interesting, I didn't know that. I have two survivor 1970 Hemicudas, SPD 401 and 402, and they both have the 1/4-20 nuts version. I knew these were oddballs, but were on very original cars. I never paid attention as to which side of the baseplate these 1/4-20 nuts were welded, so I just now checked and sure enough they are welded on top! Neat stuff, thanks to all for the info.

- Wade