I had a 2.7 Intrepid. The engine died at 145,000 miles. It lost oil pressure. The 2.7's had the water pump under the timing cover. If the water pump starts leaking, the coolant mixes with the oil. Not good!!

The early Intrepid's had the most problem with sludge in the oil. I've heard the sludge was caused by the Catalytic converters being to close to the oil pan. My late Intrepid did not have any sludge problems. I had the oil pan off just before it died. My car did have very regular 3,000 mile oil changes though from the time it was new.

The tensioner on the timing chain gave trouble on some 2.7's. There is an aftermarket kit available that is supposed to eliminate the tensioner problem.

Some people get lucky with the 2.7's. I've heard of some with 300,000+ miles, but those stories are very unusual!! I believe most of the high mileage 2.7's had the timing chain, tensioner, and water pump changed every 100,000 miles. I've read that was an informal recommendation from Mopar. The problem is that changing the timing chain in the Intrepid was a lot of work!

Parts for the 2.7's are not real cheap. The parts were not outrageous, but several times I thought the parts were over priced.

I probably would NOT buy another 2.7 engine. I certainly would not buy a used one with an unknown service history! Rebuilt 2.7's are available. If I recall correctly, Jasper wanted around $3,000 for an engine with a 100,000 mile warranty.