As we continued into the evening, it became apparent that a late thunderstorm was a very real possibility, so we cleaned up all the work areas, buttoned up all the cars, put away all the tools, and prepared to get wet.

Boone and I were checking out the Barnyard, once we finished up.
"What did you do last weekend on the Truck", I questioned.
"Well, when Dale last drove it at TRP, we noticed the axle was wrapping up bad on the launch, and nearly pulling the rear tire off the ground on rebound. I knew it needed new and better rear shocks, but I had forgotten that the pinion angle was screwed up, and the wedges I used to correct it the first year eventually broke, so I just removed them."
"So last year it was binding up the shocks, and wrapping up the whole time?"
"Yeah, that's why my 60's were so inconsistent. So we welded on new perches to correct the pinion angle problem, and built custom brackets to mount these QA-1s."
I looked under the truck, "Good grief, the bottom mount is really low!"
"That's because Dale ordered shocks that were too short", Boone exclaimed.
"They look too long to me", I muttered
"Too short! They don't have enough travel to allow the SS springs to bow, so we had to mount them vertical, instead of at an angle like the originals".
He seemed pretty adamant about that diagnosis, so I decided not to argue with him. "What do you have left?"
"All this street driving with a spool has worn the old M/T's pretty good on the inside, and I've got a vibration, so I think if I take them and have them flipped on the rims, then re-balanced, I might be able to get one more Drag Week out of them," He related.
"Yeah, I have to mount new tires for the Belvedere, swap the ones from the Valiant to Dale's wheels..."
"He has new front runners to mount also", Boone interjected.
"So, tire shop day tomorrow?"
Dad had walked over, and jumped in "your Mom is coming down tomorrow, and I want to put two new tires on my flatbed before we go to St. Louis, so we can load up all the stuff on it and make one trip!"
"Sounds like a plan!" I agreed.

With the weather kicking in, Boone, Skippy and I decided to make a trip to the stores for supplies to get us through the next few days. We hit Wal-Mart for drinks, paint, and sand paper, then O'Reilly's for brake clean, and more wiring stuff, and I added another 95.10 to the expenses column.

By the time we got back to Dale's, he was already in the house, and clearly didn't intend to do anymore work, Dad was already gone, and Boone decided we were done for the night...this was a really odd week, so far!

004 - Copy.JPG

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines