What temperture are you checking the ring clearances at? If it is real cold, under 50F the clearances may seem tighter, and they are than they would be at 70F or above. The aluminum piston expands 8 more times than the iron or steel rings, warm the piston up in a oven with the rings on it to 100 F and recheck the feel and actual clearances. I made the mistake of checking a set of piston in my shop in SO CA with half of the pistons sitting in the sun coming thru a window and the other half out of the sun. The air conditioner was on and the room temperature inside was right at 70F, the half of the pistons sitting in the sun light where several thousands bigger in the skirt than those that where out of the sun I finally figure it out and moved them all out of the sun light and remeasure them two hours later and all of them where within .0003 of each other. I have had a set of rings like BG has noted, very frustrating, one of the reasons you have to check parts when they don't seem right, when in doubt, check it out BTW, I like tight ring lands(.0008 to .0012) on a race motor in normal room temperatures

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 01/05/09 12:48 AM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)