Originally Posted By RapidRobert
16/36/all in at 3K ain't outrageous. I'd start by plugging the can in to ported & if it only pings at WOT I'd slow the curve with a slightly heavier spring on one side. Best would be a bit more octane. If you're right on the edge a next colder plug MAY help. Experiment with manifold too & you'll for sure need to shorten the slots. With manifold I'd set the initial with the vacuum gauge method then shorten the slots to 35/36 then a heavy enough spring combo to stay just under the pinging point at WOT up thru the gears on your hottest/driest day. Best is more octane but most individuals are set in stone where they are at with that choice. Bottom line NO pinging allowed at any time.

What I am trying to do is clean up my idle/part throttle some so wouldn't I want to skip the ported vacuum as it has no signal at idle? I know this won't fix the WOT pinging by itself as it can only advance the timing.

What I was envisioning is maybe I could dial back the distributor to maybe 10-12* base timing and use the vacuum advance to keep the advance up at idle-part throttle but drop off at WOT which would then top out at 30-32* which might help the pinging?

Does this make sense or am I missing something??