Quote:

How do you set the dist to have total advance at a certain RPM? And how can I check my dist to determin when exactly total advance is achieved?

You change the springs to set when the advance comes in. To check when total advance is achieved you use an rpm gauge and your timing light. When it quits advancing at high rpm, it's all in. Write down the rpm when it starts coming in, how much it advances and at what rpm it is all in. It's easy.

Now the harder part. In order to alter how much advance you get out of the mechanical advance mechanisim, you will have to weld up the slots and then grind them back until you get the amount you want. Some guys run about 18-20 degrees initial advance with 16 to 20 degrees mechanical or there abouts. I have read threads where guys have epoxied the slots and then filed the slots with long term sucess.

It takes some time, but the results are worth it.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)