Originally Posted By Evil Spirit
Friend wants to run a 904/998/999 based lock-up trans in a 66 Dart behind a mild 360. Main question is - do all lock-up 904's shift into lock-up "mechanically" - referencing high gear applied and governor input, or are there any lock-up 904's that have an electric solenoid that dictates converter lock-up? I thought I remembered seeing a lock-up 904 with a connector at the left rear of the case for a lock-up solenoid wire. Trans didn't have a trans brake in it, before any one asks. Is there an "electric" lock-up valve body - if so - application?

And does anyone make a "budget" converter for this trans that has a little better stall and would live behind a 350 hp 360?

Here is what the OP asked SuperCuda. I took it as telling him how some of the 900 based tranny's DO have lock-up and how they work. Thats all plain and simple. I did not say all M-bodies have lock-up as I dont remember off the top of my head which body styles did or did not have lock-up. I go to the service manual for the year and body car I work on to determine all the options as you cant remmeber all of them off the top of your head. Get the M-body deal out of your head as I only used what I said as reference about how electronic lock-up works. I could care less what year M-bodies use electronic lock-up. I only wanted to tell the OP how they work and how the solenoid lock and un-locks the converter. Maybe you should worry more about how the electronic lock-up works which is what the OP wants to know instead of whether I know which year M-bodies had electronic lock-up because I dont care what year M-bodies were or were not electronic lock-up. My point was to let the OP know ALL ELECTRONIC LOCK-UP converters are turned on and off by the solenoid when they have the electric solenoid. If you cant understand that then learn how to read a flow chart. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 04/20/15 02:26 PM.