Quote:

First thought what oil was used/is being used.. Are you familiar with ZDDP, what it does & the fact it's been removed from most oil... http://www.zddpforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7
Second thought were lighter springs used during cam break-in?? There are plenty of other questions but those two are biggest...

Unfortunately flat cams are all to common these days & unfortunately when the lobes go they send metal particles throughout the whole engine... Often damaging pistons, bearings cylinder bores & sometimes cylinder heads...

Your whole engine really needs to come apart for a thorough inspection

Also I would strongly suggest a roller cam to eliminate the potential of this happening again

I'm not sure what the engine builder did or didn't do. I suppose it's water under the bridge at this point.

I was considering a roller because of not requiring break-in and also because the roller tolerates low speeds and idling better but most of the roller cams I've seen are pretty tall and I want to keep the car driveable. I need to figure out what direction to go pretty quick though so I can get it back together. Should do a complete tear-down like you said.