I have posted about the auto 4wd not working properly in my 08 Hemi Ram before, I can't find much information on that but the four wheel drive problem got worse this weekend.

I put the truck in 4-low to back it up my steep yard because I didn't want it to spin the tires on the grass. When I tried to put it back in 2wd the volt meter pegged to the high side and my blower motor cut out and back on several times. It did not complete the shift back to 2wd. I set the e-brake and continued my work. I came back out to the truck and when I started it the transfer case was in Neutral, it was indicated by the N light on the 4wd switch and the truck would roll while in park.

I read the manual on how to remove it from neutral and that procedure didn't work. It would try and then revert back to N on the indicator. I also unhooked the battery for awhile, checked all the fuses, etc. No luck.

Next I pulled the shift motor off of the t-case and moved the control manually. First I found low range again, next I found 2wd and I moved it out of the yard. I messed with it some more and somehow ended up with 2wd lo range(front shaft spins freely) not sure how that happens. I moved the lever some more and got it back to 2wd.

Now I have a service 4wd light which makes total sense since the shift motor is off of the case and unplugged. However, on the first start in the morning the 4wd light is on and the front axle is connected(driveshaft locked in via CAD) but the t-case is not in 4wd. After I stop at the store for my morning drink it goes back to the service 4wd light beieng on like I would expect.

Sorry for the long post but does anyone have any idea what I am up against? I talked to the dealer and they will look at it for free or an hours labor if they gotta dig in. If its not module or computer related I will do all the work. I can dig into the t-case that doesn't scare me, but I don't want to dig in and find the problem is electronic.

And Lastly, what scanners will let me see 4wd operation? Does it take the chrysler scan tool to do so? Thanks for any help.

Its Frusterating that I abuse my jeep like none other, put it in 4wd while sideways with the rear tires spinning, broken axles, broken drive shaft joints, all this and the t-case is fine. I have this creampuff ram that never goes offroad and the 4wd is acting up LOL.

Thanks

Last edited by Bad340fish; 02/10/15 05:02 PM.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340