Hi,

While I do not think this was the problem with the car not running in my other thread, I am looking for opinions on how the carbs were set up when the engine showed up. The carburetors are Hilley Ultra HP 600, a pair on a tunnel ram.

I took the carbs off when installing the engine as I did not want to damage them. I also wanted to know the settings (jets, air correctors, etc) I recorded everything and did not touch either the idle speed screws or the idle mixture screws. What I did notice is that the throttle blades are completely closed. Now, this certainly addresses the situation of avoiding exposing too much transfer slot. These carbs have the idle air bypass screw under the air cleaner stud. It seems as if they were set up to idle with the butterflies closed and just using the bypass. Am I better off popping the carbs off and setting up the blades so the transition slot is exposed in a square fashion? Then close down the bypass screws, then set the idle speed with the bypass screws if needed? Also, the Ultra HP carbs do not seem to have a port to hook up a vacuum gauge. Do I drill and tap the intake manifold for a vacuum gauge? The intake is a Weiand tunnel ram.

Best regards, Dave

Last edited by David_in_St_Croi; 02/07/15 02:42 PM.

https://www.facebook.com/THENEWCDRA

Proud member of the liberal scientific elite