Mathew,
You may be giving my argument some legs with the pictures and literature in Jim's books but also opening a supreme court debate on the details of these rare items of yore. I also have those books by the way.
I just found it confusing that it was stating that they were stamped from 0.018 thickness and then.....("But existing lightweight body panels were measured and they are 0.024-inch thick and the parts appear to have been dipped")
From what my friend just told me, my fenders were reading in the .026-27 thickness range which equates to 23 gauge in translation. These readings were at the fenders ends and not in the middle as the micrometer could not reach its arm that far. The inner frame work that supports the outer panels and mounting points appeared to be of standard thickness. This may have been to keep some structural strength. If there was any chemical milling involved, then those inner frames would have been thinner as well.
That being said, is there a case now that only the outer finish panels were the items stamped out of thinner gauge being that fenders of the time were a multiple of different parts spot welded and folded together and into each other?

My fenders by the way had all the preexisting colors of the real A-990 cars that they were mounted on before as I was stripping them a few months back. The Passenger fender has no antenna hole or any signs of it being plugged and welded, even professionally. Though, my friend has also stated that regular production cars with radio delete may had come with no antenna holes as well on their fenders. This could be questionable and be a smoking gun.

Thank you by the way for your continued input.

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 01/27/15 11:09 PM.