Quote:

My first thought is TPS, but I am not a diesel guy, maybe the 03 doesn't even have one ...

I was going to say that but you would probably have a code and likely other symptoms. Could be pending if it's intermittent but it sounds like the problem is present all the time.

Does it go into limp mode at all? Seems weird that you would have a symptom like that and no codes. Batteries/charging system good?

Might be a wheel speed or one of the shaft speed sensors. If any of those drop out, the trans may not know road or engine speed. Can't recall if you get codes for those, probably but you might not. You would have to look in the TCM or ABS systems with a scan tool to monitor them. Not sure if you can do it with a Modis, might need a DRB.

Again, see if you can find someone with a scan tool, it's going to be the most efficient way to narrow this down. It sounds like an electrical problem. Could also be the bus going down but that would likely lead back to a wiring issue. Might be a good time to figure out what that wire you melted is for... where was the wire?

BTW, if you go after one of those wheel speed sensors be aware that they tend to seize so proceed with care.

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500