Quote:

Well, after doing mine, I have to say you Guys are set-up and know all the tricks to make it go smoothly.

I have 6 hours of beating on the crossmember to get it out and then back in.

After trying everything with sockets and wrenches I wound up having to torch the exhaust out so there was another 3 hours.

Struggling every which way to Sunday with jacks and blocks on just getting the trans/lines/electrical/shafts/ out was probably another 5 hours.

At least 3 hours on the phone, reading the service manual, on the computer sourcing a low-mile replacement, having to go pick it up, etc.

Another 3 hours cleaning parts, purging my cooler lines, building and welding on a drain plug.

And then , put it all back together.

Hell, this turned into a month long project picking away at it in my spare time. Four-wheel drive too, I might add. Good thing I could walk away from it several times, because I would have wound up burning it to the ground.

Of course, the shop I mentioned above knows what they are doing, but I still don't think they were that far out of line in price.

If I spent 30 hours on it well that's $3000.00 at $100 an hour. They asked for three days so I'm sure that would be 20 hours to in, out, re-build and test.

I mean, did I do something wrong? Is it just supposed to fall out of there and go back in in an afternoon?

Side question: do the torque converter bolts need to be loc-tited?

This is why I paid the $1500 for my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission to be removed/rebuilt/replaced. Three Days and none of thee above. I can do a lot, but in this "for instance" it was well worth it.

If you don't start it , you don't have to end it.