I agree, Dakota chassis all the way, I think I'd look for a 96 or older, the 96 was the last of the first gen. The 97s look like a shrunk down big Dodge truck and they got a bit heavy sometime in the early 2000s. The standard cab short box frames are a little short, I believe all the others are too long. Its easier to shorten the frame then it is to extend one. I'd look for one with a slightly longer wheel base then the original truck your using the body from.

I think any of the Dakota drive trains will work well, keep in mind, you may have to move the drive train back on the frame a little.

My 48 Plymouth coupe (on a 90 standard cab, long box Dakota chassis, shortened 8", drive train moved back 7" for the car body) has the 3.9, 5 speed. It pulls the car around pretty good (I can get a chirp in 3rd with a 3:55 limited slip & 235 x 75 x 15 radial tires), but its not a drag racing monster. It is quick enough to get a guy in trouble if he is not careful, the 5 speed makes it fun. The 3.9 is a littls short of the 1,000 hp though. Gene