Quote:

The ring end gap is the least of your problems. I bet you have lots of cly taper and a large piston to cly wall clearance. If the motor should have been bored out and it wasn't, then you will have lots of clearance in those areas. I would not get file to fit rings because if you set it for the top and have lots of taper, you will be too tight at the bottom. The first tool an engine builder needs is a good set of mics and snap gauges( or dial bore gauge).You will use them for the rest of your life. If you have .005 or more taper, then put it together and save for some pistons and a bore job later. Mark

Did you check and measure the gap in a bunch of spots up and down the bore? You can set the gap at the tightest point. I use the ring manufacturers recommended gap, or the KB adjustment for them. I also ad about 5% tothe second ring gap. You dont want it as tight as the top ring.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.