Production tooling and casting molds were and are generally a few years ahead of the actual build dates of the cars they are intended for. This allows the manufacturer adequate time to evaluate and test the new parts for durability, driveability and performance and set up tooling for mass production. That casting date would not be out of line for the 1970 production model year, especially if it was in a batch cast for engineering tests and evaluation. Another thing is the 1970 model year cars went into production in July / August 1969. Prototypes and preproduction models were already being built in mid to late 1968 and used for engineering evaluation and testing.

We know that Chrysler contracted Edelbrock to produce the 1969 - A12 Intakes out of Aluminum. That doesn't mean Chrysler had not already cast their own version of the Six Pack Manfold in cast iron, planning ahead for increased production for 1970. (reference the comments about the casting dates on cast iron intake for sale on eBay - cast in late 1968) Epecially if they knew Edelbrock could not make their (Chrysler Corp's) projected sales volume increase for 1970 for 440 Six Pack equipped cars.

This is just "My Opinion" based on my experience in Auto Manufacturing. I DO NOT HAVE PROOF of this (referencing Chrysler Corp. circa 1969) . It is just my logical analysis of what happens in the Auto Mfg. world, based on my personal experiences. This process continues currently with most Auto Manufacturers. I can attest to the fact that 2015 models were being built and tested back in 2013. Commonly called "Engineering Mules"

I will have 39 years in an Auto Mfg. Plant in March 2015 and have seen and participated in a lot of the prototype / preproduction builds over the years, especially pertaining to Paint Validation for workability and Color Validation trials etc. and Paint Application in an assembly plant. (my area of expertise).

Also I own a 1970 Six Pack Challenger RT -SPD date on Data plate of B05 Nov. 5, 1969 and I believe it has a Cast Iron intake - cast in early 1969. (will have to confirm actual date)

Just wanting to shed some light on the processes involved in the Manufacture of Cars and how the build / testing phases progress.

Hope this helps with the question about the casting date on the manifold.

Also for guy who said he had points deducted from his Mopar Nats Judging - for his intake being date coded out of the accepted range for the cars build date. Apparently the Judge is just following the "Best Accepted Practice" for judging and it is NOT Based on the actual facts of Mass Automobile Production. The judges caveat is to put the burden of proof on the owner. I had a similiar situation when I had my Six Pack Challenger R/T judged at the Mopar Nats and finsihed 3rd exactly 1/2 point behind 2nd place and 1 point behind the 1st place finisher. I got dinged on my tailinght wiring harness being incorrect and it was the one that originally came in the car - Go figure ..... LOL

Have a Good One !

Bogusracer - Jeff

Last edited by bogusracer; 01/05/15 06:00 AM.