Quote:

Quote:

It becomes apparent that you have never had a similar equipped big block truck if you think a 318 will pull with it.
Modern Magnums with modern transmissions might be a different story, and traction along with a few other things may equal out the playing field, but an LA 318 will not out pull a similar equipped big block truck. When you pull a heavy load at more then 20 mph, the difference is as clear as day and night.

But all that said, don't discount the 318 just because its a 318. Gene

I had a similar truck with a 400 a few years ago, while I have had this 318 truck the entire time (at the same time), and the 318 will pull right alongside ANYTHING at low speeds. High speeds (over 20 mph)? IDK, never pulled stuff like that, only heavy loads under 20mph...

JS

I promise if you hook a car trailer with a car on it and drag it through the hills along the west side of northern IL, at highway speeds, there will be little doubt of the differences between a big block truck and a small block truck.

The op stated an occasional trailer towing, most would assume that would mean pulling a trailer between towns on the highway at 55+, not between farms @ 15 mph. Between farms @ 15 mph, a properly geared slant 6 will probably get the job done, but pull that truck onto the highway and run with traffic is a different story, it might get the job done, but it won't be fun. Gene